Here is a really nice and very easy project to brighten up the dark days of winter. I made this project for instructables more than a year ago.
Looking for a cheap and simple way to make some partylights? Then look no further because here is the cheapest and simplest way to make then yourself!
Skills you don’t need for this project:
- Knowledge of electronics
Skills that might come in handy:
- Knowing how to order stuff online
- Using a pair of scissors
- Ordering pizza
What do we need for this little project?
- Batteries (2 x 1.5V)
- Heatshrinking tube
- RGB-led with an integrated colorchange circuit
- A container.
I bought a 5mm led from www.leds-buy.nl. It costs 1.16€ and it has a programmed color sequence.
As container I used an acrylic pipe and two messing endcaps (used in plumbing). I used this materials cause I wanted a small waterproof container but you can use whatever you like.
A word about the batteries:
I used these batteries because I needed small ones to fit in my container. But you can use any batteries aslong as you don’t exceed 3V (this way you don’t need a resistor). Keep in mind that the life of your partylights depend on the mAh – rating of your batteries. The higher it is the longer you will be able to party.
Now that we have all the ingredients, we can build the partylight:
- Put the 2 batteries on top of each other ( both facing the same way).
- Shrink some tube around them to make a little battery-pack.
- Add a small band of tube across the terminals to hold your led later.
- Add the led. the longest lead should go on the + terminal the shortest on – . The led should immediately start its sequence.
- Put your led in a container.